"Goveia, William P" <wgoveia@indiana.edu>: RE: [TenTec] Ok, i f the Argo was/is so popular.....

Goveia, William P wgoveia@indiana.edu
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:42:24 -0500

> > I run mine exclusively off of a 12 volt, 650 cold cranking amp deep
> > cycle marine battery (about $40 from a local wholesale club), and it
SNIP
> I've been wanting to do this.  How do you recharge your battery?  I'd
> love to do this with a solar panel for recharging -- completely self-
> sufficient Scouting.

I just use a car battery charger right now.  I already had one, so it the
price was right.  I will be building some different charging devices over
the next year or so (solar is at the top of the list), to experiment.  Just
haven't seen a pressing need to rush out and buy a $150 power supply yet.

As Edwin (k7uc) points out, when charging a car or boat battery, you do have
to be careful about the gases that escape.  I don't charge it up near
electronics or electrical items, and it charges in a storage room, away from
pets, kids and the XYL.  Probably overkill with regard to safety, but I am
not going to tempt fate.  He who charges in a safer way lives ragchew
another day...

> This adjustment is a pain.  I plan on bringing this out to an external
> adjustment (maybe getting the same style pot from Ten Tec).  I haven't
> figured out where to mount it, or maybe I'll have a separate

Good idea.  Might add that to the list of projects....

73,
Bill Goveia
KB9RBW