[TenTec] Ok, if the Argo was/is so popular.....

K & H Darwin darwin@together.net
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:42:04 -0400

----------
> From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
> To: Robert Weingaertner <weingaertner@nac.net>
> Cc: Tom H <biskit@snip.net>; tentec@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ok, if the Argo was/is so popular.....
> Date: Saturday, April 17, 1999 8:36 AM

> QRP awards should go to the higher power station who's racking
> his brain/ears to copy.
>
> I'm not a power-monger, with my 50-60W CW.....but I've started
> staying away from 7040 because I like to relax and have a complete
> qso.  And yes, I have very fine receivers to 'dig-em-out'.....
> guess I'm getting cynical in my old age (40)

Now here's a topic.  Who's really doing the work during a QRP QSO.  I used
to run QRP frequently when I lived / hammed in New Mexico.  A couple of
Argo's and HW-9, Drake twins at 5 watts.  I figured it was an
accomplishment to make contacts.  And it was fun.  I've now come to believe
I had the easy part.  The fellow on the other end was doing all the work.

But now I live in Vermont and the bands are definitly different here.  I
get on 7040 can call CQ to have a nice S-9 QSO with someone in FL and I get
3 replies, all down in the mud, all QRP.  I too have gotten so I don't call
near 7040 unless I want QRP.  Unfortunately the band above 7040 is SSB and
below 7040 is high speed CW and we all know that 7000 to 7025 is DX and
super high speed QSOs.  Well, that's the way it seems at least.

So I guess I'll have to stay with quick DX QSOs.  At least I can hear the
europeans.

- Keith Darwin -
KD1E
Ferrisburg, VT