[TenTec] Herc II Current requirements

patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:34:22 +0100 (BST)

Its not in the manual, as far as I know, but my meter says its almost
nothing. At full output, its drawing around a KW from the AC supply,
so its not unusual for the panel lights (and maybe the house lights)
to dim a trifle due to voltage drop caused by the huge DC current
changes.

Yes, the fan runs all the time. Watch out if you open the box and flip
the hinged panel with the fan on it - the fan power cable ends in a
plug on the fixed board underneath, so unplug it before throwing the
panel all the way back.

For static tests I use a small switch mode supply and the TT
accessory connector that is intended for use with a battery. The
little supply is good for 15 amps, but this is more than enough to
check the relays and fan. Even with the Herc II keyed up (without
drive !), the current drain is minimal. It does not start to really
pull current until there is drive. If it does, then there is probably
a fault ... or you have the input connected to the output and its
oscillating.

John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Date: 18-Apr-99