[TenTec] Question conecting a Ten-Tec Omni VI+ to a Drake L4B Amp

KQ6XY KQ6XY" <kq6xy@goldrush.com
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 17:05:53 -0700

I would like to connect my Ten-Tec Omni VI+ to my Drake L-4B amp but I am
not certain how to connect it.

The L-4B has connections for AGC and VOX relay.  This is what the L-4B
manual reads:

"VOX RELAY

A two pin jack on the rear of the L-4B Amplifier is provided for connection
to a pair of normally open relay contacts in the exciter which close on
transmit and thus turn on the L-4B at the same time.

Some exciters, other than Drake line, ground one of he extra relay contacts
made available to key a linear amplifier.  For these exciters it is
necessary to plug the two pin connector into the L-4B VOX RELAY socket
observing the correct polarity."

The Omni VI+ has a relay connector that is used to control non-QSK
amplifiers.  The Omni VI+ manual reads:

"RELAY [N.O]

Used to control non-QSK amplifiers requiring heavy relay switching capacity.
Delay is adjustable in QSK SLOW.  See..."

My guess is that I can connect the Omni VI+'s RELAY to the L-4B's VOX RELAY
observing the polarity, but I would like some verification.  I am assuming
that I don't need to connect anything from the Omni VI+ to the L-4B's AGC
connector.

Thanks and 73,

--Larry

http://www.tusoni.com kq6xy@goldrush.com
"Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small
country." - Steve Wright