[TenTec] Dead List?

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:22:20 -1000

>   What's wrong with your power supply (and which supply is it)?
>   Aloha,

Aloha Bernie,

The supply was returned today by UPS,  hooray.  Per the
invoice enclosed they replaced the bridge rectifier and
the fuse,  which,  of course was blown when I returned it.
The fuse constantly would blow. PS is the 962 running
my Omni VI+.

The original fault probably occurred when I turned the Omni
on one afternoon,  and nothing happened,  at least so I
thought.  So I turned it off,  and tried again,  that is the Omni
VI+ didn't respond.  Found the PS light/operation had failed.

I then discovered that the push-to-talk switch on the TT
mike base had somehow been locked "on";  maybe that
is what caused the failure.  Don't know.  I tried replacing the
fuse a couple of times,  and it would blow every time the
PS was turned on,  whether the Omni was turned on or not.

Cost of the parts: $6.00;  Labor, $37.50; shipping back
to Kauai,  $44.75,  which is about what it cost for me to
send it to Tennessee couple of weeks ago.  So total
repair cost to me,  about $130.   A new supply shipped
out here would be $275 plus the $45 shipping again.

It's only money,  right?

73,  Jim, KH7M