[TenTec] Paragon Value

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 05:48:13 -0600

, but don't forget the Paragon mystique:
>Paragons were available under GSA contract, so you may find them
>at embassies, military bases, Antarctic outposts, CIA listening posts
>and, of course, U.N.C.L.E. headquarters.
>
> 73, Bob WB2VUF

While we didn't get our Paragon/Hercules II through GSA, we did get them for
and do use them in our emergency operations center at work.

I think in today's glass cockpit (read: workdesk) environment, a Pegasus would
look really neat sitting next a Hercules, especially in our EOC.

I'm sure we could find a place for the Paragon at the club station (W5RRR).

I will definitely have to think about this for the next time I'm asked about
station needs---or when I just slide it into the conversation.

I haven't seen anyone comment on the Pegasus' performance on the digital modes.
I'm sure it's as good as it's performance on CW and SSB.  Anyone care to
comment?  Does the communications software/TNC connectivity reside in a
separate computer or in the same computer which houses the Pegasus software?

There's a cost-savings potential here folks that would make my EOC management
sit up a bit straighter and be more attentive.  They won't let me buy antennas
and towers (esthetics of the building and all that--Something about the Mission
Control Center being an historic site), so maybe something for the desktop in
the new millenium will be acceptable.

Thanks for the idea.

73,
dale, kg5u