[TenTec] Best Straight Key

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:22:13 -0000 (GMT)

No two hams will agree on either morse keys or antennas !! Or on how
best to set them up.

Kathleen and Ari; it does not matter what key you use. As long as you
are comfortable with it and as long as you make the effort  to send code
that sounds right, no-one will chew your ears off, and most operators
will slow down to a speed which is comfortable for you. You can send
good code with about anything if you practice enough.  I have never
heard a TenTec radio that keyed badly and that is a heck of a bonus for
anyone starting out to use code. My concern is that everyone is now
obviously brainwashed into believing that iambic keyers are necessarily
the best !! Yes, its a losing battle.

Unfortunately, there is now no choice; no-one actually makes an
Ultimatic (non-iambic) keyer anymore. In fact I do not think anyone ever
did sell one commercially; it was a design you built yourself, so
everyone unwilling or unable to build had to stay with a Vibroplex, the
OZ7BO-type multivibrator keyers, or a hand key. All the early
automatic keyers were homebrew. The first Ultimatic was designed
following a detailed analysis of what an automatic keyer needed to do
to be really user-friendly. But the first version was multi-relay-based
and a total pig to set up. An old timer friend and mechanical genius got
it working, but only when the weather was right. Nothing with that many
relays was a commercial proposition. I took his advice and chickened
out until the 12 tube one relay version appeared.

My final salvation was logic chips and the relay-less Ultimate keyer
from QST (May 67, I think). The author, W1HFA, deliberately set out to
reproduce the advantages of the old Ultimatics, but without the setup
problems. If you insist you can switch it to iambic. Auto-space is also
an on-off option. Its now been in use for many years without a glitch.

Lots of "improved" solid state keyer designs have appeared both before
and since then featuring all sorts of goodies, but they seem to be all
iambic, probably because the designers think it is a "good thing", or
more likely they didn't think at all - they just copied the logic
slavishly from earlier designs.   Now there are cute kits and keyers
available from several sources, but the downside is that everyone has to
get used to the alternating dots and dashes that go with the iambic
approach. And don't they love it ?? Maybe I need to learn to type with
some more fingers and then use a keyboard gizmo.

After 40+ years in my bomb shelter I'm idle, I guess, so when I
finish my Elecraft K2 kit, it will have to sit on top of my Ultimate
keyer, or the Elecraft guys will have to re-programme the micro for me.

And as for Unix (TM), I use its Linux clone all the time. It gets
better and better - and I'm a retired patent attorney, not a programmer.
Microsoft has lost that battle already in the file server field. The
desktop is close behind; this SUSE Linux 6.3 is pretty good.

73 John G3JAG

Without CW its just CB

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 20-Dec-99