[TenTec] RE: Hercules Ps

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 13:49:15 -1000

Hi again,

And Jim,  W4KY wrote:

>For several years now, I have used two Astron 70s in
>parallel for my Hercules II. I get 550 to 600 Watts out and
>have never had any kind of problem.

Well,  after doing a bit more checking,  and as I
already have one 70M supply,  it just might be
the way to go; i.e.,  buy another 70M and
parallel them.

Several risks and cautions have been brought up
about the battery idea.  Also  the Kauai price of
T105 Trojan batteries out here,  plus the cost of a
proper deep cycle charger, around $155 on the
mainland,  actually approaches the cost of a new
70M .  (I will have the total cost of ocean freight
and handling to the island to pay no matter what
is purchased,  hi.  BTW,  the  XYL paid $1.79/lb
today for some lettuce at the Big Save grocery
here on Kauai today!!  Shipping bites us every
day).

Mike,  Jim:  is any special set up required to parallel
the 70M's, (sensing interconnect or ?) or do you just
go ahead and do it? I have a 70M,  but no manual
for it,  and no info at the Astron web site about this
issue of paralleling.

Zeroing in on solutions to the solid state linear powering
question.

73,  Jim,  KH7M