[TenTec] Bragging rights for Ten-Tec

JEFF S JOHNSON aa8ve@juno.com
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:50:26 -0500

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ten-Tec is the only ham radio
manufacturer to still make a truly A1A class transceiver. Not
understanding the design of Pegasus I can't properly include it however I
know it's true of the Omni-VI+ and Scout and all previous models.

A1A Class is switching on and off the carrier or real CW. The Yeakenico
rigs all are running  J2A (formerly A2J) class. Instead of claiming to be
CW ops they really are SSBSCTMM (Single Side Band Suppresed Carrier
Tone-Modulated Morse) ops.
Throw that at them next time you hear their shadow tone from their
carrier balance being out of adjustment!

More and more I hear this shadow carrier following these guys around that
are running the old Yeakenico throw away rigs of the 1980's that they
won't throw away. The real carrier that should be suppressed is out of
wack and coming out on the air making these guys have two signals at once
about 700 Hz apart.   The real sad part is their carrier sounds better
than their tone!

Ten-tec is leading the pack by staying with the original intended design
of transmiting CW.  That is why all the older T*T rigs sound so good on
the air.

73  Jeff   aa8ve       A1A   Only Ten-Tec...  Only the best.