[TenTec] Power supply need for Hercules II

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:57:03 -1000

> Looking for a power supply for my Hercules II amplifier.  After reading
the
> do(s) and don't(s) of using batteries to power the amp, I am in the market
> for a power supply :)

Hi Harold,

Well,  this AM,  I ordered a second Astron RS-70M.  So I
will have about $600 in two of them,  wired up in parallel
for this purpose.  You connect the "sense" terminals of
the two Astrons together to enable parallel operation.
This is somewhat lower in price than the Ten Tec supply,
and avoids the risks/maintenance issues when using the
deep cycle batteries and special chargers required;
though all together you would have less initial cash outlay
to get going.  As I already had a several year old Astron,
it doesn't seem so bad,  hi.

Also,  the Astrons are "crow barred",  very well regulated, etc.
And,  unlike the batteries,  will provide the needed and regulated
13.8 v to yield the full power output potential of the solid
state linear.

I could find no other solution to the heavy current other than
the TT supply,  the pair of Astrons or batteries.

Good luck and 73,  Jim,  KH7M