[TenTec] Equalizing charge on a battery,

Larry Kayser kayser@king.igs.net
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:21:07 -0500

Greetings:

Rich wrote
>This procedure is
>used to adjust the difference between cells that develop due to temperature
>variation within the battery, manufacturing, and cycling of the battery.
>The equalize charge will also help scrub off sulfate particles that tend to
>build up on the battery's positive plate.  If  a cell has a .020 difference
>in specific gravity or at least once a month you should equalize

Back in the 1970's I and my family put in some 5.5 years sending some 4
million commands to the OSCAR VI satellite to keep it alive.  My friend,
Randy, then VE2BYG sent about the same number of commands to this satellite.

OSCAR VI died because the battery turned out to be a piece of junk.  I spent
some 6 years studying batteries and how they charge and discharge.  I
developed a hypothesis of a method to make an exceptional battery and around
1985 Martin, G3YJO gave me a chance to fly a battery built my way on the
UOSAT 2/OSCAR 11.  That satellite is still in orbit and still in service
with a rather good battery in it - after 15 years of service.  This makes
for some 71000 charge and discharge cycles as the little box circles the
earth.  Not Bad if I do say so myself.

During my study period about batteries I learned that a battery, which is a
collection of cells, is only as good as the difference between the cells on
day one.  All batteries begin dying the moment the cells are assembled and
life in the charge and discharge service begins.  An Equalizing Charge on a
battery is exactly what Rick says it is (above).  That is the Good news.
The Bad news is that when you study every cell and how it performs in the
collections of cells that make a battery the secondary effect of the
Equalizing Charge is to work hard at destroying the battery!  There is no
need for most of the "differences" between cells that Rick talks about,
these are the poor quality of materials and workmanship in the products
being made today.  Equalizing Charge needs to be clearly seen for what it
is, a lousy solution to a quality control problem.

We have not learned the lesson however, just look at the piles of junk
batteries that are accumulating from the Cellular and PCS phones.

Earlier someone asked about some specific gravity numbers.  I have been
looking for some current numbers, the reason is that the H2SO4 in use today
is so contaminated with Cadmium and other heavy metal garbage that the
numbers have changed.  When I find some good numbers I will QSP them on
here.  You can get your own numbers, take a dozen readings of SG on
batteries in automobiles that are a year or two old, they will tell you what
you need to start off with.  I have the numbers I use here, they are written
on the garage wall for each of my large batteries but they will reflect the
condition and quality of the acid used here which may not be the same as in
your area.

Larry
VA3LK