[TenTec] COMPUTER MONITOR AND RF SHIELDING

Ken Kinyon - W7TS w7ts@uswest.net
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:32:23 -0700

Happy new to all,
FYI here is my experience.
  I recently (about two months ago) replaced a CTX 1561 15 inch model
monitor with a refurbished NOKIA 447E 17 inch model.  The CTX produced many
birdies on HF and VHF.  After messing around with it for a while, I just
learned to live with it, turning the Monitor off when I wanted to listen
where there was a birdie.  After two months I have yet to find a birdie
anywhere from the NOKIA monitor.
I also recently bought a refurbished NEC Multisync XV15 for less than $100,
for my old computer and have yet to find any birdies from it.  It sits about
inch from my backup/six meter rig a FT-847.
  I now believe that the best approach to Ham radio computer monitors is to
try and find a high quality monitor in a refurbished condition so I can
justify the cost.  Outside of one 1/2 inch scratch on the side of the case
on the NOKIA both of these monitors look and perform as new, although the
manufacture date  says they are both about 3 years old.  Sure they may not
last as long, but at the prices I paid, I can buy at least 3 refurbished one
for the price of one new one. I hope this helps someone.
73,
Ken

Kenneth E.  Kinyon
34 Princeton Circle