[TenTec] stupid OMNI tricks

Steve Ellington N4LQ n4lq@iglou.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:13:22 -0500

> This is a fun discussion.  Just a few more comments.
>
> 1. Who cares if the RF gain interacts with the SWR reading? (Well,
> as long as minimum is still roughly minimum.....for those who
> actually USE the SWR meter in the rig.)

Me. I think it's both weird and cool plus a good use of the reflector
bandwidth to compare rigs.

> 2. Who expects accuracy from the internal SWR meter anyway?  I
> only expect a relative reading for those times when the external
> meter is broken or I am in an emergency situation.  If anyone
> doesn't have an external meter and needs a better one than is
> internal to the OMNI VI, write back to me, I have at least one
> spare!

Send it to me. I'll put it on Ebay.

> 3. Remember that the SWR reading (and wattmeter reading) will
> often be different at different spots along the coax

Maybe that's the reason for the RF Gain adjustment so you can
compensate for this. Yea....Of course. How silly of me to overlook
this.

> 4. Relax.  Don't panic at the idiosynchrasies of the rig (yow,
> is my vocabulary that big?)

The more goodies a rig has, the more weird things it does.

> 5. Corsair and Argosy owners who are gloating beware!  I will
> start to trot out the stupid rig tricks you can play with those
> rigs to the great shame of the whole crowd of you :-)  hi hi hi.

Is this like "Don't talk about my girlfriend" type stuff here? I
detect that old TenTec blind loyality creeping out. Go ahead, trot it
out if it helps!  We can take it. After all we've learned to put up
with jumping Scouts, twirpy Omni VI's and now fuzzy Pegasus's. A few
comments about swr meters won't hurt at all.
N4LQ