[TenTec] Omni-C vs Corsair 1

Steve Ellington N4LQ n4lq@iglou.com
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:01:19 -0500

Contrary to popular opinion, I would get the Omni C. I feel the Omni C
is better suited for weak signal cw work which is what I do most of.
Here's some pro and con

Omni C pro
1. Has one less mixer stage therefore is much quieter.
2. Agc is derived after the audio filter resulting in superior
selectivity

Omni C cons
1. Puts out a spur on 17 meters and shouldn't be used on that band.
2. It's a little older

Corsair pros
1. Has passband tuning which allows one to position the passband in
respect to the bfo. This helps when using a TNC to receive fsk. It
helps with cw reception when using wide filters. In the Omni just use
a narrow filter.
2. It's a little newer

Corsair cons
1. Noisy compared to the Omni C. This is due to the extra mixer stage.
2. Audio filtering not as good as the Omni because the agc is picked
off ahead of the filter. Using a narrow filter in the first IF stage
helps overcome this but it results in a lower signal to noise ratio
and the filters are expensive.

So the main difference is the additon of passband tuning in the
Corsair and one must decide whether the additional noise generated by
the extra mixer and IF amplifier is of less concern than being able to
swich around within the passband. Personally, I think the superior
audio filters in the Omni C make up for this. 73

Steve N4LQ