[TenTec] Hercules II Power Source

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:26:31 -1000

UPS delivered the second Astron RS-70M from Ham
Radio Outlet yesterday.  Connected the two 70M's
in parallel using 4 gage conductors;  interconnected
the two "sense" terminals with about #14 insulated
wires,  and fired up!

Works like a champ;  about 40 amps out of each supply,
which are rated by Astron as 57 amps continuous,
70 amps "intermittent communications service" aka
ICS rating.  Just a bit over 510 watts out of the solid
state linear with 80 watts drive from the Omni VI+,
this on 40 meter CW to my C4 40 M dipole element.

Nothing changed,  into a 50 ohm Bird dummy load,
Omni feeds out 84 watts,  amp puts out 570 watts.

Very pleased!  Thanks to all who participated in the
thread discussion.  I am glad I went this way,  and
not the Trojan battery route;  though I am sure,  that
with proper care and diligence,  that method also
is fine.  We have a Honda 5 kW generator here for
use should another hurricane (such as Iniki was a
few years ago) come across Kauai;  generator
kept me on the air for nearly five weeks until
commercial power was restored,  so know it works.
Put out a lot of traffic from the island then;  hope it
does not happen again,  hi.

Happy New Year to All!!

73,  Jim,  KH7M