[TenTec] Re:The Good Old Scout

Winston F. Jones winjones@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:52:51 -0600 (CST)

I'd like to add a personal anecdote to Carl Hyde's praise of his Scout.

I've been running a Scout mobile in my car for the past several months.
On Christmas Day, I worked I2ZLG in Mantova, Italy on 17 meters using
the Scout and a Transel "hamstick" type, trunk-mounted antenna. He gave
me a 5-5 report. Who says 50 watts and a simple antenna can't work?

The Scout is an ideal mobile radio, simple and with few controls to
take my mind off the road. Many times I've considered clearing my shack
of all the clutter of rigs that take up too much space and simply using
my little Scout in one small corner of the desk. However, I just can't
bring myself to part with my Corsair, Delta, Triton IV or Argonaut.

73, Winston K4CWQ