[TenTec] On Contact Cleaning

Steve Ellington N4LQ N4LQ@iglou.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:05:58 -0500

First let me quote from page 5-2 or the Delta 580's manual. This same quote
is in most TT manuals.

Rotary Switch Care

"Selector switches are specially lubricated by the manufacturer for maximim
life. Brushing on or dipping switch in solvents will wash away the special
lubricants and shorten the life of the switch. Cleaning rosin from soldered
connections is not recommended sice there is a hazard of the dissolved rosin
running into the switch causing resistance problems. NEVER USE COMMERCIAL
CONTACT CLEANERS ON SWITCHES."

In my younger days I was guilty of spraying "CONTACT CLEANER" on switches
and pots. Yes, they would work after a cleaning but only for a short time
then they would start getting noisy.

Now I know there are all kinds of expensive chemicals on the market and many
folks have invested $18 in a spray can of some kind of contact lube and
swear that nothing equals it but I would like for someone out there to try
this and just see if it isn't true.

I've been using el-cheapo $1.79 a can WD-40 for several years. I've used it
on RF switching in linear amps, Front end switches in receivers and all
kinds of potentiometers and never experienced any reocurring problem. Every
time, the scratchy, noisy pot or intermittent switch contact has been
instantly cured of it's ills. WD-40 cleans and lubricates the contact and it
is non conductive.

Ok. Now I know there's a lot of experts out there who think they know the
secret formula for WD-40 but according to their web page www.wd40.com . Not
only is the formula a secret but the number of people who know the formula
is a secret.
Just because it's cheap, don't overlook it. Try some and see what happens.

No flames please. It is flamable. Smells good to!

WD