[TenTec] On Contact Cleaning

Walter S Delesandri walt@jove.acs.unt.edu
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 06:29:35 -0600 (CST)

I learned from a musical instrument repairman years ago to
use either carburetor cleaner or "gun"cleaner spray (chlorinated
solvent) to clean the pots and switches, followed by WD-40, followed
by compressed air (to dry out most of the WD-40)....the old
camera repairman I worked with 20 years ago used the SAME
process (BTW< fewer plastics in those days to damage!!)

I used this process on BAs for YEARS, with excellent results...
the solvent cleaned out years of gunk, and the WD-40 left enough
lubricant to preven "seizing" and to make the pots/switches
smooth (again NO plastic pots/switches)....

When I got into Collins, I was nervous because the WD-40
"darkened" the switch wafers and it bothered me....bear in
mind, for YEARS I never had anything but success but I began
to worry about the switch wafers....no problems, just worry!!

So I changed to "de-oxit"....I still use the "gun"cleaner spray,
if they're really dirty, followed by De-oxit spray once they're
clean....I still use a little WD-40 on a screwdriver tip to
"lubricate" the shafts, and a bit of "red grease" on the
detent balls on rotary switches....all of this is "Collins"
paranoia, as I never had trouble in the past, just got
nervous working on Art's "finest".....damn, so many worries,
and I don't know which ones to obsess on.......

73, Walt

On
Fri,
26 Feb