[TenTec] Re: N4LQ and the 2.8kHz Pill

David E. Shelton w4des@iolky.com
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:58:47 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01BE374B.17E34DC0

Roy,
This is what Paul wrote concerning the Omni VI/VI+ problems read this and it
should explain rather well. David, W4DES

Paul, W9AC wrote previously:
Ten-Tec has two designs for the 9 MHz BFO Circuit Board: the older

generation uses the USB crystal for CW transmit, while the LSB crystal is

used for CW receive. The newer-generation board uses the LSB crystal for

both functions. Here's my theory for what it's worth:

I suspect the circuit change was made as a quiet attempt to improve the Omni

Six's CW note. Rather than switching between two crystals during the T/R

function, one crystal could be used, provided that logic changes were made

to components on the OMNI's Control Board. In Ten-Tec's attempt, the total

parts count, in fact, actually decreased. The new control board only works

with the new 9 MHz BFO board. Similarly, the old circuit boards must also

match together. Independently, I came to the exact same conclusion as

Ten-Tec and documented the changes. On paper, the new circuit appeared to

be a vast improvement. In reality, the new design is more prone to slight

chirp than the older design. Here's why: Ten-Tec did not change the value

of the LSB crystal. It remains 9,000.000 kHz. The Omni Six uses a fixed CW

transmit offset of 9,000.400 kHz. In CW transmit, the BFO crystal is

shifted *positively* to 9,000.400 kHz. These VXO circuits tend to produce

more audible chirp effects, albeit slight, when suddenly shifted positively

rather than negatively. When transmitting in CW, the poor LSB BFO crystal

is being rapidly frequency-shift-keyed and may or may not settle in time for

the QSK & T/R circuitry to quickly shift from receive to transmit.

To create a slight negative shift, I custom-ordered a 9,000.500 kHz crystal

and further changed the logic such that the crystal frequency is shifted *on

receive* rather than transmit. The initial "FSK" shock to the crystal is

only evident when switching from *transmit to receive.*

The older circuit board even with its inherent switching problems is still

superior in my opinion because although the USB crystal is shifted 2.7 kHz

on CW transmit, it represents a *decrease* in frequency as far as the VXO is

concerned.

That's the first problem. The second problem exacerbates the first. Here's

why:

The second problem is associated with the OMNI Six's 2.4 kHz @ 9 MHz filter.

As I've stated before and at the risk of sounding boring, the lower knee on

*some* Omni Six filters meets square-on with the Omni's CW fixed transmit

offset frequency of 9,000.400 kHz. A CW note that exhibits slight chirp

from the root-cause of problem #1 as stated above, becomes exacerbated from

the strangle-hold that the 2.4 kHz filter places on the BFO at 9,000.400

kHz. In theory, the 2.4 kHz filter is centered at 9,001.500 kHz. The

lower filter skirt, by design, cuts off at approximately 9,000.300 kHz. In

reality, the true lower filter skirt cutoff is not precise and its

variability can be attributed to imprecision in the filter's QC production

accuracy. The margin of filter error, even by design is only 100 Hz.

Imprecision during filter production can, and does, place the filter's knee

dangerously close to the CW transmit BFO frequency of 9,000.400 kHz.

THIS IS WHY SOME OMNI SIXES SOUND FINE ON CW WHILE OTHERS HAVE A SLIGHT

CHIRP AND DIRTY NOTE.

The Omni V does not manifest these problems even though the CW circuitry is

nearly 100% identical to that of the older-generation Omni Six. Here's why:

Although the Omni V and Six share the exact same 2.4kHz filter, the Omni V

uses a fixed CW BFO frequency of 9,000.600 Hz. This is 200 Hz higher than

the Omni Six's BFO frequency. When you're ever-so-close to that lower

filter cutoff frequency, 200 Hz makes all the difference in the world. I

confirmed this by slowly adjusting the BFO frequency while monitoring the CW

waveform on an Oscilloscope. On my Omni Six, a BFO frequency of less than

9,000.500 kHz resulted in a dirty CW note where the waveform begins to show

signs of visible distortion and a slight truncation of the waveform's

trailing edge. It's almost all in the filter accuracy, the remaining

difference rests with the BFO shift scheme. A BFO that chirps slightly,

will become much more intensified when it tries to pass through the

bottleneck of a sloppy filter skirt.

The absolute worst configuration is a newer Omni Six Plus, with an

inaccurate 2.4 kHz @ 9 MHz I.F. filter. (emphasis added to "inaccurate").

Listen to W1AW's 20-meter signal and you'll see and hear why. Perhaps we

can all take up a collection and present INRAD's 2.8 kHz filter to the W1AW

operating staff as a gift. I'll let Clark take up the cause from here!

-Paul, W9AC