[TenTec] Re: N4LQ and the 2.8kHz Pill

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. geraldj@ames.net
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 09:51:48 -0600

The ARRL CW scope picture I believe is only intended to show chopping of
the first dot by vox delay and sharpness of rise and fall that leads to
clicks. The radio used at W1AW is probably not the radio that they
tested. The radio they tested they bought and then sold to the highest
bidder. The radio used at W1AW was probably donated by Tentec. One would
have thought it would have been selected for better performance than
average or below average.

One would not expect chirp from a modern radio, at W1AW, perhaps just a
little more shift to move the CW signal into the filter beyond the lousy
phase region would clean it up at the expense of a higher pitched
offset. Perhaps ALL Omni-VI can be fixed that way. E.g. crank in more
shift until they are clean. TRY IT!

There are other "features" of the OMNI V/VI design that turned away from
the radio so I'll stick with the Corsair and its buzzy sidetone.

73, Jerry, K0CQ