[TenTec] Grease-Lubriplate caution

rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
6 Jan 1999 13:58:33 -0600

Hi,
I think Lubriplate and White Lithium Grease are two different types.  Have not
had a chance to check this further, but I have a can of old "Lubriplate" brand
grease that is more yellow, and was widely used in phono changers to grease
gears and slides, BUT, it gets stiff with age and dust, and does the same
thing as red TT grease.  DON'T use this, on TT PTO's.  It comes in a can with
black lettering at the time mine was made.  The White Lithium Grease contains
the metal Lithium, which is a soft bearing type metal.  Am not sure it is
ideal on brass, as it is usually used against Steel.

I believe also, that there are some red synthetic car greases now, that might
be resistant to hardening, and thus, TT might be using something better than
axle grease.

Anyway, I guess the thing to do is check the data sheet for any substitute as
I did on Dow 44, before trying.  Beware of old cans of grease with no
information about their temperature range, and intended uses.

73, Stuart K5KVH