[TenTec] omni VI micro chirp

Clark Savage Turner turner@safety.ics.uci.edu
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:39:41 -0800

I would not go so far as to discount those who complain about
the little edge to the OMNI VI CW note.  They have a legitimate
complaint, even if it is something that would not bother others.

However, I do agree with the spirit of the post....that you
really can take a lot of this easy, just relax and look at
the radio relative to your own needs and desires.

Even the FT-1000MP has problems, too, and the Yaesu
reflector goes through gyrations just like we do here.  Kenwood
has its ups/downs on their reflector (I am a regular over there).
I still have my OMNI VI and like it a lot.  I won't let it go.
I don't like the CW note as much as the note from my TS-850,
but the 850 doesn't hear like my OMNI.  The difference is not
so bad that I am terribly worried about it.  Listen to W1AW on 20
meters...if that does not bother you, you are in good shape...
it is more mushy than most others I have heard.  My wider filter
(2.8 INRAD replacement for the stock 2.4)  does seem to help for
my ears, though I have more testing to do.

All these darned radios are compromises.  Every one.  I am rather
addictive in my own behavior and want to keep improving and finding
the latest, best radio for my shack.  That is fun for me.  I putz
and test more than I operate.  I really, really enjoy (and learn
from) the heated discussions of sources and possible alternatives
to the way Ten Tec has implemented CW in the OMNI VI.  It's great
to see the deep understanding and new ideas about this radio
coming from Steve, Paul and others.

So, what the heck.  I get excited over things others would laugh at.
Different smokes for different folks, hi.

Come over to my shack some evening.  I'll show you what I have.
Give you my assessment of the best / worst features of the OMNI.
But you'll note its central position on my operating desk.  That
doesn't change.

Clark
WA3JPG