[TenTec] One, final, final chirp

Steve Ellington n4lq@iglou.com
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:14:59 -0500 (EST)

A click is a sound.

Clicks are produced by abrupt changes in amplitude.

Clicks produce superious signals beyond the carrier frequency which can be
heard beyond the acceptable limits of a keyed cw signal.

Clicks are ileagal.

Clicks on a scope while looking at a keyed, cw signal appear as a steep
rise and or steep fall on the pattern. Or at least this type of signal
causes clicks. They could probably be seen on a spectrum analizer.

Clicks can pass right through your narrow filters in your receiver and the
clicky station can be heard far outside of your passband.

Chirps are usually considered to be slower changes in the carrier
frequency when a transmitter is keyed.

Chirps can start and end anytime during the duration of the carrier's
on-time.

Chirp can begin at the initial key-down stroke then suddenly stop and
become stable as some Omni VI's do.

Chirps that are really bad are sometimes referred to a "WHOOPS" Check out
most Cubans on 40m.

Chirps are ilegal depending on how bad they are and how the FCC feels
about what he hears.

I've never heard of anyone getting a pink ticket for chirp but I'm sure
it's happened. I've heard of plenty of pink tickets for clicks since they
gobble up bandwidth.

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 w8au@sssnet.com wrote:

> At 06:55 AM 1/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Gee I got a lot of mail. Usual stuff. From it I gather:
> >
> >(1) We need a clear, quantitative definition of "click"
> >(2)  We need a clear, quantitative definition of "chirp"
> >
> >73 jerry w8gnd
>

> Yes, Jerry....
> Sounds a lot like the "parsing" of words done by Slick Willy ("depends on
> what the definition of "is" is...." etc.)
> Like Red Skelton used to say..."I calls 'em like I sees 'em," (hears 'em).
>
> Perry, W8AU
>

> --

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM