[TenTec] DSP Units and Software

Michael Gusky mgusky@bellsouth.net
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:47:27 -0600

Jim,

I forgot about DSP Blaster.  Another good alternative.  You are right,
in that it is certainly less expensive than either the NIR-12 or the
DSP-599.  However, you must have an authentic Creative Labs sound card
in your PC if you want to use it.   Unfortunately, many of today's PC
vendors use other less expensive sound cards or chipsets, that are
sometimes advertised as "Sound Blaster" compatible.  The documentation
indicates it is very flexible.  Assuming you had the right setup, you
could probably net some pretty impressive results that would rival the
NIR and Timewave units.  Unfortunately, my PC has a Crystal Audio
chipset on the motherboard.

I have found that the NIR-12 is a great companion for my Corsair 2.  I
probably use it half of the time I spend operating.  As with the
Timewave units, it takes a little "getting use to" before you realize
what it can do for your receiver.  The JPS folks tell you that you can
actually, via a RS232 port on the NIR-12, design your own DSP filters.
There are probably some out there that can actually do this, but I
suspect most of us simply want to use the unit right out of the box.

73
Mike   K5UX