[TenTec] 253 Tuner

H. M. Motley, Jr. hmmjr@erols.com
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:15:23 -0500

The memory chip in the 253 does indeed fill up and must be replaced.  At
least that what I was told by Ten Tec and I had to replace the one in my
tuner.  Whether the filling up is caused by the control software or the
chip's design is really of no concern to me - the result is the same - I
had to replace the chip.  I can't imagine why the chip would fill up
because in normal operation you'd just return to previously memorized
settings most of the time and the chip should last many years.  My tuner
was previously owned and maybe didn't lead a "normal" life!

The 253 is a convience that probably is not worth the money it costs.
You'll notice Ten Tec doesn't sell them anymore.  I think they cost
$1,000 when new!  On the used market they go for $500 - $600 (maybe a
bit
less). The quirks in using it have been mentioned in a posting by
Charles Hawley. I'd think one would be better off getting a 238 and
writing down the settings on a card taped to the front of the tuner.
When you change bands just dial in the settings from the card then touch
up quickly.

73,
Puck, W4PM