[TenTec] Scout 555 garbled SSB TX.

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. geraldj@ames.net
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:32:05 -0600

Full charge should be 13.8 up to 14.2. Perhaps a little lower on the
deep cycle, but not a lot. Not as low as 12.7 I don't think.

What I think you have is symptoms of a regulator in the scout without
much head room. E.g. trying to make a 10 volt regulated voltage with a
LM78xx chip that needs 2.5 volts head room. There are some more modern
chips in the LM2900 range that will work with half a volt head room.

Clean the connections on your power cable and then make a new cable with
real wire, say 10 gauge to minimize the drop. Clean your battery posts
until they shine, also the mating connectors. Clamp them tightly.

With the engine running your car battery voltage will be higher than the
deep cycle battery not being charged.

73, Jerry, K0CQ