[TenTec] Re: CW Practice on Omni VI

Peter Inskeep pinskeep@iglou.com
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:15:16 -0500

Hi Dale,

The mystery of the display was explained to my by someone who read my
original message.  He may not have copied his reply to the reflector, and I
don't recall is name at the moment.  Who ever he is, he, not I, deserves
the credit for solving the mystery.

When the ST button is pressed the top number becomes the internal keyer
sending speed.  Mine happend to be set at 52 when I tried it.  If you press
ST and then CW, and then turn the keyer speed knob in the upper left corner
of the Omni, you will see the top number change.  Rest assured that I don't
normally transmit at 52 wpm.  In fact, I don't use the internal keyer.  I
use a Logikey K-1.  While I did try the internal keyer when I first got the
Omni VI, I was used to my Logikey, so went back to it for its flexibility
and memories.

When ST and then CW are pressed, the lower number becomes the keying
weight.  My 1.15 is 115% of the normal 3 to 1 dash to dot ratio.  This
ratio may be changed by pressing the down and up arrow buttons located on
either side of the keypad number 0.

Upon receiving your note I started searching the manual to find out how to
change the weight.  I found instructions for changing both the keying speed
and weight in section "3-1.13 Built-in Iambic Keyer," on page 3-4.  The
description does not mention that the sidetone can be keyed without keying
the transmitter, but it does instruct to press ST and then CW to change the
speed and weight settings.  I added a footnote in this section so that when
I have forgotten how to do this six weeks hence, I may find my note and
relearn.

If you do use the internal keyer, changing the speed and the weight should
make a difference.  It does not when I use the external keyer, as should be
the case.  Thanks for your note.  Without it I never would have looked up
that section.  And, yes, I did read the manual when I first got the Omni
(but not before I turned it on and started listening, of course).  Take care.

Pete,

At 23:50 1999/01/11 -0600, you wrote:
>Peter,
>I got something different in the upper-righthand corner display
>when I pressed ST, then CW.
>
>I got "10".  The clock display changes to what appears to be the
>kHz dot tenth hundredth kHz  (e.g., VFO display: 7002.51, clock
>display: 2.51).  I can vary it with the up/down arrows, but it
>does not change anything in the VFO.
>
>Wonder what your "52" and my "10" means....
>
>73,
>

>Dale Martin, KG5U
>kg5u@hal-pc.org
>http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

Amateur Radio Station NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY
http://members.iglou.com/pinskeep
Ask about my free Linux Morse401.tgz program