[TenTec] Re: CW Practice on Omni

Ken Kinyon W7TS@ibm.net
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:12:08 -0700

Hi Steve,
The writer of the original message was mistaken.  On the OMNI-VI it is the
weight that is being varied not the ratio of dots to dashes.    On my FT-847,
however it says weight control when in fact it is actually ratio.
73,
Ken W7TS

------------------------
Kenneth E.  Kinyon
34 Princeton Circle
Longmont, CO 80503-2106
Voice/fax  (303) 684-0037
E-mail W7TS@ibm.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tentec@contesting.com [mailto:owner-tentec@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Steve Ellington
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 1999 10:59
To: Peter Inskeep
Cc: Dale L. Martin; tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: CW Practice on Omni

Why do some internal keyers allow control of the dash to dot ratio and
they bill it as a "weight control"? Facts are, the dot/dash ratio is
supposed to always be 1:3. They teach that in code class. There is a big
difference in that and weighting. Weight has to do with the length of both
characters and the ratio stays constant.

Being able to change weight is important. Some rigs tend to chop the
characters such as the IC-706 but when you look a the keyer's menu, there
is nothing to change by ratio whichis of no use.

What I'm wondering is this: Did the design engineers suddenly
misunderstand what cw is about or are they just not capable of designing
the keyer correctly?

I built a little curtis chipped keyer into my TKIT 1340 and it has a real
weight control. Ratio is fixed as it should be. What's the dea;?

N4LQ

> When ST and then CW are pressed, the lower number becomes the keying
> weight.  My 1.15 is 115% of the normal 3 to 1 dash to dot ratio.  This
> ratio may be changed by pressing the down and up arrow buttons located on
> either side of the keypad number 0.

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM