[TenTec] RE: Field Strength meter

Web Williams kr4wm@bigfoot.com
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:54:39 -0500

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. wrote:

> What? There's never been a color code that used green for 16. Never been
> a color code that used a single color for two digits. Never been a
> consistent capacitor color code.
>
> I'd say your red green red capacitor is 2500 pf. Red for 2, green for 5,
> red for x 100. Never the multiplier first. With only three colors no
> designation for voltage.

I'd say look in the 1990 ARRL handbook, page 35-2 at the topof the page, and
tell me that I'm wrong! What I -should- have
deciphered was:
red- first significant figure in uF = 2
green- second significant figure in uF = 5
red- multiplier which in this case is x 100
So I'm thinking this is either a 2500uF, i.e.
(a 2 and a 5-times 100)
or it's a 700uF
(2uF + 5uF times 100)

I can figure resistor color codes all day, but I sure wish
they had stuck to PRINTING the value of of caps on
their sides! But green, as the last digit, means "16 VOLTS",
and is not figured into the value of the capacitor as I tried
to do. Sorry for the mis-representation. 73, -Web