[TenTec] Follow-Up: Frozen VI+

RICHARD ANDREN andrenr@ul.com
Mon, 18 Jan 99 8:34:14 CST

When my VI+ returned from TT Service on Thursday (Jan. 14), it didn't sit
outside in a snowdrift, but my wife took it from the UPS dude and placed it
right in our radio room where it sat in the box for eight hours.  At first,
I was far from being a happy camper when I set it up and it drifted in
excess of 1KHz on LSB, CW, and FSK (probably all the same oscillator).  The
radio stabilized after four hours and was working properly.  The next
morning, after being turned off all night, operation was still stable.  It
continued to be stable on Friday night.  Darn work keeps getting in the way
of my hobbies while I'm trying to check out my radio :)  Saturday was
NAQP-SSB which I could only put in a part time effort, and there wasn't a
single glitch on any band, LSB or USB.

Most people on this reflector suggested a problem with condensation, and
I'll have to agree because I can't come up with any other explanation.  I
have no idea what a package goes through to get here (40 miles west of
Chicago), but I can just imagine.  As far as I'm concerned, TT did an
excellent job servicing this radio which had multiple ailments.  I worked
one of my local buds in the contest using a FT-1000MP on 14.184.20, and
since I know his voice, I asked him what his display read.  He said he was
really on 14.184.20!!!  Now I'm convinced it's smack on frequency which was
one of it's long time problems.  I'll give it more of a workout in the
160M-CW contest in a few weeks, and then in WPX-RTTY  in February.  Thanks
very much TT for doing the required repairs properly.

73/DX, de Rick N9THC