[TenTec] Model 238 Tuner?

Peter J. F. Shaw k4ldr@sunco.com
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:05:03 -0500

Hi there Calvin  AC5AA:

I use a TT238 (purch in '98) and a Dentron MT-3000A (purch new in '78)
which is an excellent tuner for high power reasons.

Settings on 238 seem to be stable within tolerances.  I don't move
knobs if SWR is 1.5:1 or less.  Good point on 238 is the rotory
inductor vs switched coil taps on Dentron.

Initial tune up on a particular antenna with TT238 takes longer and a
written chart for the  knob/switch/band settings is a MUST.  I began
tuning the 238 using a Polomar tuner-tuner (specialized noise bridge),
which works super on any other tuner but not-so-hot on the 238 (I
don't know why), then used an MFJ-259 which was accurate and much
faster.  Once you have the various switch settings determined and
written down, you'll find the TT238 OK.

The power meter and SWR indicator is within tolerances. Precision
isn't important to me as I tune for min SWR and max power peak.  Took
me some time to remember the foward/reflected/SWR push-button switch
positions because they are different than I have used before.

The plastic insulator terminals for the balanced feedline and the
single wire look weak for high power and I haven't tested that with my
Titan amp yet.  I haven't put anything higher than 100W thru the 238
as yet.  A friend confirms the plastic terminals as weak, arcing over
with full bore Titan power under certain conditions that are common.
He recommended changing them to ceramic.

Overall, you get what you pay for.  I wish I had purchased the Nye
Viking instead.  It is more bucks, but I would have paid them.  Maybe
I'll acquire a Nye Viking the next time I'm shopping for a store
bought antenna tuner.  An Elmer friend (from 44 years ago) mailed me a
moose sized, wide spaced, split stator variable capacitor that I will
incorporate into the moosiest tuner I will ever build.

The TT folks sometimes advertise demo 238s and lots of other eqpt
right here on the list.  They are a few bucks less.  View the T-T
factory web site too.  I  purchased mine as demo and am not
dissatisfied.

73  Pete  K4LDR  Citrus County, FL

Member of the Florida Contest Group (FCG) - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out
the FQP website@: http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm