[TenTec] Model 238 Tuner?

Steve Ellington N4LQ N4LQ@iglou.com
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:40:00 -0500

-----
>Don't be so quick to trade the 238 for a Nye.

This is good advice. The Nye, although built like a battleship, has a
limited range compared with the 238. I had one and upgraded to the 238. Also
the swr meter on the Nye is really weird. It requires a 9v battery and the
circuit is turned off-on by an RF detecting switch. I found this to be
somewhat erratic in operation and of course, the meter won't turn on if
you're running QRP. Not only does RF control the off-on function, it also
controls the power range function. I think it was at the 200w level that
it's supposed to shift gears and read the higher scale.

The meter in the 238 isn't too hot either. The function buttons are
confusing and manual adjustment of the meter's sensitivity is required when
changing bands, power or antennas. I don't pay much attention to it and just
observe the swr meters on the rig and amplifier.

To really make things easy, just buy a 238 for each band and switch between
them!

73 N4LQ Steve