[TenTec] questions

Michael O. Hyder Michael O. Hyder" <N4NT@wireco.net
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:23:42 -0500

Hi Greg--

I'll take a stab at your question, too.  I assume you are talking about the
Argosy 525 radio.  The 224 is the optional audio CW filter for that rig.  I
am not sure if it fits other models of Ten-Tec rigs.

The Argosy has been a strange bird.  There seem to be two distinct designs
besides the fact that the rig came in both the Argosy 525 and the Argosy II
525D (digital).

I have one of each type of Argosy and here are my findings with them:
My Argosy 525 derives its AGC voltage at a point beyond the 224 filter.
That means that if a signal is out of the passband of the 224, it will not
pump up the AGC.
My Argosy 525D derives its AGC voltage at a point before the 224 filter.
That means that if a signal is out of the passband of the 224, it can still
pump up the AGC.

The circuit design may have to do with the different models, 525 v 525D, but
I think it had to do with when they were built.  The fellows at Ten-Tec
don't seem very familiar with who did what and when they did it.

With my Argosy 525 and the 224 audio filter, I am quite satisfied.  That was
NOT the case before I replaced the 4-pole SSB filter with an 8-pole model
220 SSB filter.  With the 220 filter and 224, the rig seems to perform and
sound about the Triton 4 (544) and the Omni-C -- which is good, indeed.

With the Argosy 525D, also with the 220 SSB filter and the 224 audio filter,
the results are satisfactory most of the time, but it really needs the CW
crystal filter option to perform optimally when the bands are crowded.

So.  Regardless of which rig you have, I would suggest and recommend the 224
filter.  They are available as kits from an outfit called Embedded Research.
I would also suggest that you replace the 4-pole crystal filter with an
8-pole.  Then run tests and see if when you turn on the 224 filter with a
nearby signal and it reduces its volume from the speaker, does it also
reduce the S-meter reading.  If not, then the crystal CW filter is next on
your shopping list.  If the 224 does reduce the S-meter reading, then you
may be very happy without spending the money for the CW crystal filter.

And that is all I know about that.

73 de Mike N4NT@wireco.net