[TenTec] AGC

K & H Darwin darwin@together.net
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:49:54 -0500

TenTec AGC.  No there's a topic I'd like to jump in on.  Their
Audio-derived AGC has always bugged me.  I much prefer the AGC action of my
old Drake R-4c.

I've had several TT rigs (Argo 515, 509, Omni D, Centuary 22, Corsair II)
and with the exception of the Corsair II I've had problems with the AGC
engaging too slowly.  This is due to the AGC being audio-derived.  With all
of those rigs (except the Corsair II) I also modified the AGC circuit by
bypassing the cap to make the AGC recover much faster.  This of course
increased the popping noise on the leading edge of signals.  So then I ran
the RF gain control down to reduce the apparent signal strength.  This
worked great.

With my Corsair II I run the AGC on fast almost all the time, except when
rag chewing on SSB.  I run the RF Gain up full as well and have almost
never used the RF attenuator.  I haven't noticed any problems, although a
few times I wanted a faster AGC.  Most times things are just fine.

It's enough to make me think the AGC in the Corsair II isn't audio-derived
(but I know it is since the notch affects AGC).

73,

Keith Darwin
KD1E
Ferrisburg, VT