[TenTec] AGC: ON or OFF Survey

Robert Weingaertner weingaertner@nac.net
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:56:36 -0400

Once in awhile I run with the AGC off, usually under extreme
conditions like 80m at night with weak signals and heavy QRN static
crashes from distant thunderstorms.

The reason we used the old way originally was that only the most
expensive receivers had AGC that was IF or audio derived. The rest
had AGC which rectified or detected the signal envelope. If the BFO
was on, it would look like a carrier to the AGC rectifier and would
produce a big AGC voltage which would cause a reduction in receiver
gain.

            73, Bob WB2VUF