[TenTec] Strange Omni VI+ Problem

Robert - N2EFT n2eft@arrl.net
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:14:55 -0600

For the last few week I've been having an intermittent problem with my
Omni VI+ and was wondering if any have had a similar experience. Every
so often, when in TUNE or keying manually,  the output of the rig will
jump to about 140 watts (collector current is 20 amps) - regardless of
the front panel power setting. When this is happening the internal keyer
doesn't function. If I place the rig in sideband and press the PTT (or
don't connect a mic and shorting the PTT) the output power jumps at
random - just as if someone were speaking into the mic.

I've disconnected the rig from everything but a power supply (tried
three different Astron 25amp linear supplies) and a dummy load... same
results. I know if I send it back to Ten-Tec the problem will not appear
as long as a tech is watching it (isn't that the definition of an
intermittent problem!) - but I may end up doing that anyway.

Any clues would be most welcome!

Thanks & 73 - Robert
n2eft@arrl.net

P.S. I may have sent this twice - sorry if I did.