[TenTec] Pegasus - the litmus test

ac5aa@juno.com ac5aa@juno.com
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:23:18 -0500

I'd say quite the contrary.  I work in the computer industry and use
computers all day long at work and at home.  I test the latest stuff -
things most users will never see or use, and I have somewhat of a sense
of what GUI's can do and where they are limited.  My opinion, and we all
have one I suppose, is that for what computers do well, I will use them
(i.e., logging, packetcluster, rig control, RTTY controller, PSK, QSL
info, etc.)  For what they don't yet do well, I will avoid them (virtual
control of a rig).  I consider virtual control as being an ergonomic
compromise.  It's fine if you want a new toy, or you need to use a rig
that way.  An example of this would be running a remote station because
your subdivision won't allow antennas.  However, that's a rich man's
answer to the problem - not many of us can afford to sink the costs of
renting another property for antennas and then running a fairly expensive
remote station!  For that application, it provides an alternative to
stealth antennas and neighborhood RFI problems.  But for me, for chasing
DX or contesting, I prefer to have both hands on the rig at all times.
Directly on the controls - instant response.  One on the PBT or offset
tuning, one on the RIT and RIT/XIT switch to position myself in the
pileup.   Grabbing for the mouse, finding the mouse cursor on the screen,
clicking back and forth between controls would just add one more layer of
gorp to have to contend with.  After all, with the computer you are
reduced by necessity to changing one and only one control at a time.
Besides, I have my logger and packetcluster (DX4WIN) running almost full
screen - where will the computer rig control go?  Another monitor to buy
and find a place for on the desk?  (Yes, I know, the right solution to
this is a software package that provides all function in one place.)

I see this generation of rigs as an evolutionary stage - we will
eventually get to the point where either they are as easy to use as the
traditional rigs, or they will become an evolutionary dead end.  Only the
future will tell us that.  In the meantime, I plan to use what fits my
needs, and I'm sure others will do the same, whether it's the virtual
front end, or glowing plastic & aluminum.  That's my story and I'm
sticking with it!

	73,  Duane    AC5AA

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:39:03 -0700 "Tom Scott" <tscott@eni.net> writes:

>Well it seems pretty clear that Ten-Tec has succeeded in creating the
>definitive litmus test for Ham radio traditionalists versus what we
>might
>call modernists, with precious few of us falling in between.

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
ac5aa@juno.com -or- ac5aa@earthlink.net
Day:  dacalvin@us.ibm.com