[TenTec] Triton IV vers Corsair II

Steve Ellington N4LQ n4lq@iglou.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:31:20 -0400

The Triton through the Omni C were single conversion rigs with a 9mhz IF
stage. Addition of 17 meters, pressure from imports and quest for greater
selectivity prompted TenTec to incorporate an additional mixer and I.F.
amplifier at 6.3mhz. Along with this came the handy PBT tuning and greater
image rejection but the down side was greatly increased noise.  The basic
Corsair design continued in Omnis 5, 6 and Paragon using the same I.F.
components. A tone control was added to the Omni V/Paragon to give some
apparant relief from racket then low pass dsp filtering was added to the
Omni VI to tame the beast.

This is why I believe the Omni C is the best compromise. It's got the single
conversion design but has the added benfit of narrow xtal filter selection
plus switchable audio filters all within the agc loop plus it has 160m and
warc bands. Just don't bother using 17meters.

If you concerned about digital interface, cascaded filters, more accurate
readouts, smoother tuning knobs, push button band change and memories then
go for the Omni V through Omni VI and if you need general coverage go for
the Paragon 1 or 2.

Now we are faced with another choice, the Pegasus. I haven't seen it's
circuit yet and am anxious to hear one compared to the Omni C.

Steve N4LQ