[TenTec] Pegasus revisited

Steve Baron stevebaron@starlinx.com
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 19:13:19 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BEB1E2.F7DAF600

Maybe part of the 'problem' is the use of things like sub-windows.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@tcac.net>
    To: Steve Baron <stevebaron@starlinx.com>
    Cc: Edmonds, J.B. <jedmonds.dit@state.va.us>; tentec@contesting.com =
<tentec@contesting.com>
    Date: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 5:39 PM
    Subject: Re: [TenTec] Pegasus revisited
   =20
    snip:=20

        >the price and quite honestly the RIGHT price as far as I'm =
concerned.  I'm=20
        >ready to buy as soon as one question is answered.  "HOW EASY =
WILL IT=20
        >INTERFACE WITH CONTESTING SOFTWARE???" and what will the =
interface be?=20
        Will=20
        >it be software only or will it need as second serial port for =
control from=20
        >other software?   The picture is very muddy right now.  Be the =
first on=20
        your=20
        >block and tel me how to get it working with TR or CT.=20
        >=20
        >J.B.=20
        >N4NQY=20
        =20

    snip:=20
    Very good question.  I've been running the Kachina 505dsp for over a =
year now.  Nice rig.  But I don't use it for serious contesting since it =
won't communicate with the popular contesting software.=20

    To help muddy/un-muddy the waters heres how it will work (in my =
humble opinion).=20

    Either the rig software or contest software will have to incorporate =
the other software.  For example I currently use Writelog ( I also have =
NA and CT but I like the Writelog since its a windows program).  =
Writelog needs to have its own sub-window which controls the 505dsp and =
bypasses the 505dsp software.  Matter of fact, the 505dsp supplied =
software would not even be used.  Or, Kachina, needs to incorporate =
Writelog into they're control software as another window.=20

    The main reason for the above is that only one application (that I'm =
aware of anyways) can use a comport.=20

    So bottom line, the two pieces of software need to become one.  Does =
that make sense?=20

    I know Kachina and Writelog are talking.  I'm hoping to get more =
info when I go to HamCom this weekend.  Its only a matter of time before =
this gets done.=20

    And I'm really looking forward to the finished product.  Think about =
running two Kachina's or Pegasus's for two radio contesting.  Everything =
would be on one screen directly in front of you while the rigs, amps are =
to the side somewhere.  A few mouse clicks and your cq'ing on one rig =
and s/p'ing on the other.=20

    On another note, I'm very pro software controlled rigs.  I've been =
forced into so I can operate hf. I was a bit reluctant at first (you =
know no knobs to twist etc), but once you get used to using the mouse =
and keyboard its not bad at all.  I've been using the Kachina via remote =
control for several months, and the only way to do it is via software.  =
Check out my web site below for pictures of the station.=20

    --=20
    73,=20

    Richard Thorne - N5ZC (EX. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)=20
    Amarillo, TX=20
    Check out my REMOTED CONTROLLED station at:=20
    http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/=20
     =20

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BEB1E2.F7DAF600

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Maybe part of the 'problem' is the =
use of things=20
like sub-windows.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>Richard Thorne &lt;<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:rthorne@tcac.net">rthorne@tcac.net</A>&gt;<BR><B>To: =
</B>Steve=20
    Baron &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:stevebaron@starlinx.com">stevebaron@starlinx.com</A>&gt;<B=
R><B>Cc:=20
    </B>Edmonds, J.B. &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:jedmonds.dit@state.va.us">jedmonds.dit@state.va.us</A>&gt;=
; <A=20
    href=3D"mailto:tentec@contesting.com">tentec@contesting.com</A> =
&lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:tentec@contesting.com">tentec@contesting.com</A>&gt;<BR><B=
>Date:=20
    </B>Tuesday, June 08, 1999 5:39 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: [TenTec] =
Pegasus=20
    revisited<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <P>snip:=20
    <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE =3D CITE>
        <P>&gt;the price and quite honestly the RIGHT price as far as =
I'm=20
        concerned.&nbsp; I'm <BR>&gt;ready to buy as soon as one =
question is=20
        answered.&nbsp; &quot;HOW EASY WILL IT <BR>&gt;INTERFACE WITH =
CONTESTING=20
        SOFTWARE???&quot; and what will the interface be? <BR>Will =
<BR>&gt;it be=20
        software only or will it need as second serial port for control =
from=20
        <BR>&gt;other software?&nbsp;&nbsp; The picture is very muddy =
right=20
        now.&nbsp; Be the first on <BR>your <BR>&gt;block and tel me how =
to get=20
        it working with TR or CT. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;J.B. <BR>&gt;N4NQY =
<BR><A=20
        =
href=3D"http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm"></A>&nbsp;</P></BLOCKQ=
UOTE>snip:=20
   =20
    <P>Very good question.&nbsp; I've been running the Kachina 505dsp =
for over a=20
    year now.&nbsp; Nice rig.&nbsp; But I don't use it for serious =
contesting=20
    since it won't communicate with the popular contesting software.=20
    <P>To help muddy/un-muddy the waters heres how it will work (in my =
humble=20
    opinion).=20
    <P>Either the rig software or contest software will have to =
incorporate the=20
    other software.&nbsp; For example I currently use Writelog ( I also =
have NA=20
    and CT but I like the Writelog since its a windows program).&nbsp; =
Writelog=20
    needs to have its own sub-window which controls the 505dsp and =
bypasses the=20
    505dsp software.&nbsp; Matter of fact, the 505dsp supplied software =
would=20
    not even be used.&nbsp; Or, Kachina, needs to incorporate Writelog =
into=20
    they're control software as another window.=20
    <P>The main reason for the above is that only one application (that =
I'm=20
    aware of anyways) can use a comport.=20
    <P>So bottom line, the two pieces of software need to become =
one.&nbsp; Does=20
    that make sense?=20
    <P>I know Kachina and Writelog are talking.&nbsp; I'm hoping to get =
more=20
    info when I go to HamCom this weekend.&nbsp; Its only a matter of =
time=20
    before this gets done.=20
    <P>And I'm really looking forward to the finished product.&nbsp; =
Think about=20
    running two Kachina's or Pegasus's for two radio contesting.&nbsp;=20
    Everything would be on one screen directly in front of you while the =
rigs,=20
    amps are to the side somewhere.&nbsp; A few mouse clicks and your =
cq'ing on=20
    one rig and s/p'ing on the other.=20
    <P>On another note, I'm very pro software controlled rigs.&nbsp; =
I've been=20
    forced into so I can operate hf. I was a bit reluctant at first (you =
know no=20
    knobs to twist etc), but once you get used to using the mouse and =
keyboard=20
    its not bad at all.&nbsp; I've been using the Kachina via remote =
control for=20
    several months, and the only way to do it is via software.&nbsp; =
Check out=20
    my web site below for pictures of the station.=20
    <P>-- <BR>73,=20
    <P>Richard Thorne - N5ZC (EX. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M) <BR>Amarillo, TX=20
    <BR>Check out my REMOTED CONTROLLED station at: <BR><A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/">http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/</A> =

    <BR>&nbsp; </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01BEB1E2.F7DAF600--