[TenTec] TT INRAD Filters

Clark Savage Turner turner@rome.ics.uci.edu
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:12:58 -0700

Hi Jim:

I have just the same filter complement as you do for the CW
filtering of my OMNI VI.  I chose to get a pair of 2.8 filters
for the main filter in the first IF and the main filter in
the second IF too, because I want to hear a bit more audio,
the pair of 2.4's was just a bit "thin" sounding to me
(probably 2.1 KHz bandwidth nominal for the stock pair of
SSB filters).  My ears would rather filter out the chaff
and hear the fuller range, I just seem to hear better and
with less fatigue that way.  BUT, there are those who are
better off with the 2.4's, so try to see what you really need
before plunking down another 200 bucks.  I find the pair of
2.8's to be very nice, but not a quantum leap at all.  I
need to open up the audio chain of the OMNI a little, it
just won't reproduce the extra sound these filters are
capable (ever listen to a Kenwood rig with a pair of 2.7
filters?  That is my comparison point.)

The "micro chirp" was audible to my ear on my rig.  The newer
filter (2.8 in the main line) has satisfied other critical ears
that is better, but I have no objective evidence, I do not
have equipment or time to go after better proof than that,
hi.  Maybe this fall after my dissertation is done and I am
working just daytimes at the University in San Luis Obispo,
Ca.

Clark
WA3JPG