[TenTec] TT vs. INRAD Filters

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:55:34 -1000

Barry wondered:

> Why can't the INRAD 2.4 filter fit into the N-1 or N-2
> filter socket and be cascaded with the INRAD 2.8?

Well,  by golly, of course it can!  Put the 2.8
to fix up the offensive CW front edge "click",
and put the new 10 pole 2.4 INRAD in the
N1 spot,  the first 9MHz selectable socket.
I just might do that,  giving up the TT #221
250 Hz filter,  optimized for 500 Hz sidetone,
as I have not found this one too useful anyway;
could probably sell it.

(It has been pointed out several months ago that
BOTH transmit and rcv signals pass through the
"permantent" first 9Mhz IF filter in the Om VI+.  The
problem is the chance that the IF frequency and
the filter edge of the TT "standard" 2.4 kHz filter
in that first slot, may not be quite "on";  caused
by filter manufacturing tolerances.  Opening this
pass filter to a 2.8kHz bandwidth has eliminated
this potential problem,  which evidently is not
shown by all Om VI's because it is a remnant of
filter manufacturing tolerances.)

To use the TT #221 250 Hz filter, you must want
to use a 500 Hz sidetone also.  And,  I have found
my ears seem to want a somewhat higher pitched
tone anyway,  especially with QRM/N around.
If I am tuning around with a 500 Hz filter and am
using a 700 Hz sidetone,  then must stop and
do some retuning in order to use the 500Hz
sidetone 221 filter,  which is more lossy anyway,
and if the signal was weak to begin with,  there
it goes!!

> was hoping to do this myself.
That is cascade the 2.8 in permanent position,
with the 10 pole 2.4 in the N1 slot for great
SSB selectivity,  alledged by some anyway.

I just might do this  myself!

>Are the pin
> configurations different for the "permanent" socket
> and the "N" sockets?

Am  sure they are not different,  otherwise some note would
have been made of it by INRAD who is offering these
"after market"  filters to us.

73,  Jim,  KH7M