[TenTec] FD 99

rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
28 Jun 1999 13:10:11 -0500

Eric,
Glad you had fun!

Well, we went battery QRP at 5 watts on both CW and a SSB station, and used
Extended Double Zepp antennas, using plastic pill bottle (white ones) for
insulators, 14 ga. Copper insulated house wire, and balun/match box.  Also
used horizontal Vee Beam antennas of 320 foot legs over a football field, and
the best SSB DX at less than 5 watts out, was New Caledonia, with also Johnson
Island, Guam, and Hawaii, from Central TX.

Those were all on the EDZ dipole, not even the Vee which routinely does that!
The Vees were skipping over most of US, because we rasised it too high.  Had
three of them, two on a 40 foot tower on a 10 foot bluff above field, and one
on a 30 ft tower.

The EDZ plays beautifully for both DX and for in USA closer in stations, which
is after all, your main need for FD points.

73, Stuart K5KVH