[TenTec] Re: Sound card audio problem

Alan Childress km4dt@mindspring.com
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:26:00 -0500

>Something I have run into on -one- occasion, is that the output of a
soundcard had
>voltage on it! 12VDC to be exact! The speakers worked fine, I suppose they
had DC blocking caps
>in line (won't DC across a speaker voice coil burn the winding
>in two?) somewhere inside the speaker system.

The sound card used a floating ground. There's no 12Vdc out to the speakers
when the proper reference is used. The proper reference was the (-) return
lead on the sound card jack.  I.E., not the chassis ground on the computer.
So your friend would have had to connect to the same points on the audio
card and isolate the chassis of the new 1/4 inch connector from the computer
frame.

<Alan>
KM4DT