[TenTec] MIKE FOR OMNI-D

Mike & Lara Pagel pagel@wi-net.com
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:35:40 -0600

I've got both mikes here, Alan, and the answer to your question probably
lies in your voice characteristics.

I'm mostly a CW op, but wanted a good mike for pleasant audio for ragchewing
with buddies on 160 meters.  One of those buddies is a broadcast engineer
with a great ear for audio.

After years of listening to me in person, over the phone and through Kenwood
830 and 850 audio chains, he pronounced the audio produced by the Omni VI+
as the cleanest he had ever heard - essentially distortion free.  He found
the TenTec 705 mike to be somewhat muddy, however, and wanted me to try
different mikes for comparative purposes.

I tried TenTec's hand mike but that was muddier yet - better for FM.  Then I
found a D-104 (amplified model) at a swapfest and grabbed it for $30.
According to my ragchewing buddies (including the BC engineer), the D-104 is
an excellent match for the TenTec's clean audio capabilities.  They find it
natural sounding yet providing the punch one needs to attack a pileup.

My only frustration with the D-104 is the candlestick mounted PTT switch.
Has anyone ever mounted the head of the D-104 on a gooseneck or boom setup?
I'd sure enjoy the open desk space!

73,  de Mike, K9UW