[TenTec] One More Thing

Scott Howell whowell@hq.nasa.gov
Sun, 02 May 1999 21:18:06 -0400

I have read all the comments regarding Ten-Tec and other companies. Below
are some comments that I wanted to throw out there from a different
prospective. Btw, I also like the big TT rig cause i can open and find what
I am feeling for<g>. Oh, so there's that filter.hmmm nice and spacious in
here. Prhaps I'll move in<g>.

exactly why I purchased a Tentec Omni-V. Here my friends, let me explain
something from the point of a blind Ham.  Many blind Hams purchase Jap rigs
because admittedly Kenwood more than the rest have tried to make their rigs
accessible, but they generally have fallen short.
I didn't know this, but Tentec was one of the first manufacturers to make
their rigs or some talk. Yes, making a rig "blind friendly" is not the
cheapest of things to do perhaps and there's a very small market so really
isn't always worth the time, but Tentec has done so.
Their rigs are very simple to operate and really the freq is all you need
to know when using their rigs. I love my Omni-V and I can't thank  the gent
enough who turned me on to it.
I absolutely aplaud the folks at Tentec includinng the wonderfuly nice
ladies who answer the phone. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help.
Hell Don certainly knows me well enough now. As a matter of fact he and I
took a few mins just to exchange wx reports and just general chatter. Now
of course they are very busy and don't get the number of calls Jap rig
folks do because we know they support not just Ham gear, but cd players or
whatever.
That's fine and I appreciate the fact someone has the time to talk to me. I
have only 3 Japanese radios and if TT makes one similar, I'll sell these
and purchase there's.
I have an ht from Yaesu, Kenwood 2m which has direct key entry and a
Kenwood r1000 cause I got one amazing deal. Now I wish TT would add direct
key entry or make a speech unit or cw output for that new 2m/6m rig. Are
you listening Tentec? I know you are of course.
So, in short, its Tentec for  me. Although I would like to own a Collins
etc. as a nice addition to the shack. However, maybe I'll start collecting
Tentec gear first.
I will point out though that at least when you call Ten-
Tec, you are speaking directly to an engineer whereas you call most other
companies, your generally dealing with folks who are sitting at a computer
with a database of info and a manual handy.
Of course whatever you choose to use should be what works best for you and
as I said before, perhaps some of the Ten-Tech gear isnt' the most
friendly, it works and works very well.
tnx for the bw.
tnx es 73 de Scott/n3byy