[TenTec] Omni VI plus

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. geraldj@ames.net
Wed, 05 May 1999 09:56:28 -0500

One grumble I have is the choice of receive mode for CW on 14 and 28
MHz. For some reason the Omni V and VI use LSB for CW on those bands.
This is a great obstacle to using either radio with a transverter for
serious VHF operation where one may work CW and SSB alternately in the
same QSO because of weak signals. Might actually want to copy USB and
send CW 800 hz above the USB carrier frequency. When the mode shifts and
the receive frequency shifts so drastically between modes, one looses
contacts in contest situations from not correcting the dial properly.
Hence I have selected a Corsair II for such uses. It does work CW and
USB on 10m with the same PTO and mixer frequencies so switching modes is
simplified.

I presume that if one really wanted to, the computer control program for
the Omni VI could be disassembled and the errors corrected but that's a
lot of work.

73, Jerry, K0CQ