[TenTec] Pegasus Data Sheet

Peter Inskeep pinskeep@iglou.com
Sun, 16 May 1999 20:13:51 -0400

Hi All,
Below is a text version of the data sheet on the Pegasus that Ten-Tec
was giving out at the show.  I scanned it as an image and then
converted it to text.  The conversion was not exact, so excuse any
proofreading errors that I did not catch.  There were no pictures on
the data sheet.  Just text.  It follows:
<<<<<<<<<<

New! from Ten-Tec
Only $895
PEGASUS

As Amateur Radio moves into the 21st century, TEN-TEC is pleased to
introduce our vision of future HF transceivers. This revolution
combines the power of your PC with a cutting edge IF-DSP design. The
marriage of PC, Digital Signal Processing and HF rig has been
discussed for some time but TEN-TEC is the first to offer it at such
an affordable price. PEGASUS is half the price of earlier competitors
with or without front panels!!

TEN-TEC's DSP expertise has been evolving since 1993 when we pioneered
"real time" DSP processing. Our discoveries propelled us to a position
of prominence in government and commercial ultra-high performance DSP
receivers. As a group of dedicated hams, we just couldn't stop there.
We set our sights on bringing the many benefits of DSP to our hobby.
Take a look at the results:

· 34 receive filters built-in! Pick any 8 for your personal front
panel and change them any time at a click of the mouse. 25 choices
from 1050 to 8000 Hz bandwidth and 9 more from 300 to 900 Hz for CW
and digital mode enthusiasts. 8 optional filters in a conventional HF
rig would cost as much as this entire transceiver!

·  Tailor the sound of your sideband transmission with 15 different
transmit bandwidths.

·  Spectrum Sweep gives you a snapshot of the entire band in just
seconds! Find the pileups or scout for a clear spot automatically
without touching the tuning knob.

· VFO has 12 different tuning rates!

· 1000 memories or more, limited only by RAM in your PC

· Surf the Web and have a QSO at the same time!

Your PC provides the "virtual" front panel and all the necessary
controls. This significantly reduces cost by eliminating expensive
front panels, displays, etc. It's now all done in software ! As with
most Windows~ programs, you can launch the PEGASUS, tune in a
frequency and then put it in the background while you do other tasks..
In fact, you can surf the Web and have a QSO on the ham bands at the
same time!

You don't have to be a computer expert to use PEGASUS. It connects to
your PC via one serial port and works with virtually any computer
running Windows 3.1, 95/98~ (minimum of 486 processor). Install the
software package on your hard drive (only 1 meg of space needed),
attach a power supply, antenna and you're on the air! Point and click
any transceiver function with your mouse, or control the transceiver
by computer keyboard. For armchair operation, add optional Remote
Encoder/Keypad, Model 302.

PEGASUS covers all 9 amateur HF bands plus general coverage on
receive. Look at this lineup of digital features: Dual VFO's with
SPLIT mode, RIT/XIT, passband tuning, adjustable AGC, variable CW
offset with auto-tracking sidetone. 100% duty cycle final so rugged it
doesn't require SWR foldback. And last but not least, TEN-TEC's
legendary, silky smooth QSK for CW and AMTOR/PACTOR.

Even the best technological advances don't mean much if we hams can't
afford them. We think you'll agree, the price may be the most
significant achievement of the PEGASUS.

AVAILABLE JULY 1999

TEN-TEC, INc. 1185 Dolly Parton Parkway Sevierville, TN 37862

Phone 423-453-7172 Fax 423-428-4483 OrderToll-Free 800-833-7373

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

MODES: LSB, USb, CW, RTTY (AFSK), FM, AM receive only
FREQUENCY RANGE: Receive - 100 kHz to 30 MHz.
                 Transmit - all ham bands 160-10 meters
DISPLAY: provided by customer's PC
DUAL VFOs with SPLIT mode.
OFFSET TUNING: +/- 10 kHz receive and transmit
MEMORIES: limited only by available RAM in PC, virtually any PC will
store 1000s of memories
FREQUENCY ACCURACY: +/-90 Hz at 25 degrees C at 30 MHz for 1 yr
ANTENNA: 50 ohms unbalanced.
POWER REQUIRED: 1A receive, 20A transmit @ 12-14 VDC
CONSTRUCTION: 5 epoxy glass PC boards, molded front panel, aluminum
chassis, texture painted steel cover
DIMENSIONS: HWD 10.75" x 5.125" x 11.5" - 27.3 x 13 x 29.2 cm
WEIGHT: 9 lbs-4.1 kg

TRANSMITTER

RF OUTPUT: 5-100 watts, ALC stabilized.
DC INPUT: maximum 250 watts @ 14 VDC. 100% duty cycle for up to 20
minutes. Continuous duty with customer supplied air cooling of rear
panel heat sink.
MICROPHONE INPUT: 200 to 50K ohms. 4 pin, front panel connector
accepts microphones with 5 mv (-67 dB) output. Polarizing voltage
provided for electrets. T/R SWITCHING: PTT or VOX on SSB, FAST or SLOW
QSK on CW.
CW OFFSET: Programmable 400 to 900 Hz, DSP generated. Sidetone
automatically matches offset, volume adjustable independent of AF GAIN
control.
FM DEVIATION: +/- 5 kHz.
METERING: Switchable to forward power, reflected power or SWR.
SSB GENERATION: DSP generated
CARRIER SUPPRESSION: > 50 dB
UNWANTED SIDEBAND SUPPRESSION: > 60 dB at 1.5 kHz tone
THIRD ORDER INTERMOD: 25 dB below two tone @ 100 watts PEP
SPURIOUS OUTPUT: Better than 40 dB below peak power output

RECEIVER

SENSITIVITY: .35uV typical for 10 dB S+N/N @ 3 kHz bandwidth, SSB
mode. SELECTIVITY: 34 filters built-in; 300 Hz, 330 Hz, 375-750 Hz in
75 Hz increments, 900-3000 Hz in 150 Hz increments, 3.3-6.0 kHz in 300
Hz increments, 8.0 kHz. All 1.5:1 shape factor or better.
DYNAMIC RANGE: 90 dB @ 3 kHz bandwidth at 50 kHz spacing
THIRD ORDER INTERCEPT: +10 dBm
NOISE FLOOR: -126 dBm @ 3 kHz bandwidth
S-METER: Calibrated to 50 uv at S9
ATTENUATOR: -20 dB
PASSBAND TUNING: +/- 2 kHz
I-F FREQUENCIES: Ist I-F 45 MHz, 2nd I-F 455 kHz, 3rd I-F 12 kHz
I-F REJECTION: > 60 dB typical
IMAGE REJECTION: > 60 dB typical
RECEIVE RECOVERY TIME: less than 20ms, including split mode
AUDIO: speaker - 2 watt @ 4 ohms, line out -> 1 V p-p into 600 ohms

all Specifications subject to change without notice
05/99

Scanned by Pete, NO2D, Pewee Valley, KY.  Nothing on the data sheet
indicated
that it should not be reproduced or scanned, in so far as I could
tell.

Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY