[TenTec] Still Plagued by RF - Omni/Centurion

N1EU n1eu@yahoo.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 05:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

About two weeks ago I solicited help with distorted
audio being caused by RF getting into my Omni 6.  I
added gobs of ferrite and shored up the ground
connections, grounded the 961 & disconnected its
speaker, grounded the dummy load, etc., etc.  Thought
I had it licked, but I checked yesterday on a second
received and I'm still plagued by the distortion on 17
and 10 meters when I run over a few hundred watts,
even into only a dummy load.  Plugging a serial data
cable into the Omni seems to make it worse, even
without the cable connected to anything else & loaded
with ferrite.  This makes me think the cable is acting
like an antenna picking up RF that's rampant in the
shack and exacerbating the problem.  The main ground
connection in the shack is about a 10 foot run of 1
inch braid to an 8 foot ground rod.

I had a glimmer of suspicion about the Centurion's
power cable, which essentially runs the length of the
house unimpeded.  Any thoughts on whether that might
be the culprit & is it worth loading the amp's power
cable up with ferrite or ???

All help appreciated.
73,
Barry  N1EU