[TenTec] Bravo Bravo Bravo re: Scout

Chuck Brudtkuhl wa0roi@arrl.net
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 10:19:09 -0600

Larry, VA3LK

Good for you sir .. I've also read the negative stuff about
the Scout and have given up responding .. I think you did an
excellent job!  I've missed this latest rendition of the
"poor Scout" thread ... your message was forwarded to me by
another ham.

I've used my Scout mobile, in winter, in very very cold
Iowa, then have the car heater blow on it.  I've used it
with batteries for portable.  I've used it in Europe as
DL/WA0ROI and OE2ZBM .. using the "TenTec" switching supply
on European mains from multiple locations with multiple
random wire antennas..

Never, ever, have I experienced any of the problems we read
so much about!  The only time I'd have any kind of problem,
as you said, it was "my" problem.  Generally a really really
bad load or ground (e.g., station on 3rd floor of a Pension
near Salzburg ... no available ground ... ALC responding
crazy on 20m .. cured with a 1/4wl 20m counterpoise laid
across the floor connected to ground lug of rig/tuner, etc.,
etc.)

Any and all problems I've had, have to do with proper
response of ALC, and are the result of poor load or ground
... I've never ever had a freq stability problem under any
circumstances.  My Scout is 4-5 years old ... to me ... I
purchased it used.

So thanks for putting ur 2 cents worth in, and doing it so
well ... its appreciated by those of us who feel the same
way!

73 de Chuck
wa0roi - dl/wa0roi - oe2zbm