[TenTec] Frequency Jumping, a response to Enough

Larry Kayser kayser@king.igs.net
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:32:18 -0500

Greetings:

The guns have fired!  Tim, K0FL, Jim K5ROV, Steve N4LQ, and Curt K7OQ have
unloaded the big assault, having been there, done that, the world will keep
turning just as the program says it should.  Steve's comments are
particularly interesting - attack the messenger or by inference the
messengers
country while suggesting your attacking the message.

The other 17 emails of support for the Scout, thank you.  Some points to be
made.

1.  I had forgotten, or was maybe not aware, that Ten Tec has been including
a yellow sheet of notes with new Scout/Argos about the so called frequency
jumping at higher CW speeds, my comments were there for redundant in that
they have already addressed the issue.  My experience is that even at 30+
WPM keying the rig needs a second every 30 or so to give the processor a
chance to update the vfo correction voltage.  The use of an external keyer
helps but it is not the total solution in my experience.

2.  I forgot to include the other things that a Scout/Argo does not have.
It does not have an LCD screen that does not work below 0C, It does not have
a service agency that is a contracter to the manufacturer, it doesn't have a
Y2K upgrade kit, it wont forget its internal program when the backup battery
goes dead, and the final transistors don't have 2SC numbers either.

3. What a Scout/Argo does have.  It does have its share of people who want
the radio to be something that it is not, just like every product in the
world has, It has a lot of happy contented users who use the radio every day
and are happy with it.

Larry
VA3LK